A history of the police of the future
Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop (電脳警察サイバーコップ) and the US release Power Force
I first encountered Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop in 1989, when my best friend's father returned from a business trip and brought him several Dennou Keisatsu Cybercops figures, weapon packs and episodes recorded on VHS. I remember thinking how detailed and "cool" the toys were but, with no internet, I had no way of getting any for myself.
That changed in 1994 when I found a bin of "discounted" Power Force figures in Kay*Bee Toys which were immediately recognizable as Cybercops. Although I had the figures, I remembered my friend having a grappling hook accessory as well as a large missile launcher.
Knowing there was more to the line than could be found in Power Force I started researching and scrounging to find out more. During my search I discovered more about the original line and a large number of knockoffs.
To celebrate the 30th anniversary of this line I've launched this site to share what I've found.
12 March 2021: Thanks to ToyZilla I've been able to pick up a few of the 1998 Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop Re-Release figures. Now that I have more than one sealed example I felt OK with opening my original boxed example of Lucifer-Bit (the box was partly crushed, unlike the case-fresh one from ToyZilla) so that I could confirm that they use the same molds as Power Force. They have the same raised area for the copyright on the buttocks! The painted copyright text is almost identical to the originals but now includes the year 1988.
While researching Nathan's tip I also came across four bizzare knockoff figures that I am referring to as the Multi-Color Line.
9 February 2021: Nathan Souza in Brazil has shared photos of the Power Rangers Hybrid yellow ranger gift set that he received as a Christmas gift in the 1980's. It includes both a figure and matching Blade Liner!
There are other sites that contain useful information about the Cybercops:
- Henshin Grid has an entry about the Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop line
- Zinc Panic has an entry about the Cybercop line
- There is an article about Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop in Japanese
- There is a detailed blog post from 2014 about the Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop show called Cybercop - Os Policiais do Futuro in Portuguese.
- Wikipedia has an entry for Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop
- Figure Archive has page for the Power Force line which they call "Cyber Cops" and includes Power Bots as a "chrome series" part of the line